Snooze. Slumber. Hit the hay. It’s not surprising how many terms we have for “sleep” since, if we want to be healthy, we should sleep about one-third of our lives. Sometimes sleep seems like a waste of time to a Ministry Leader, but a good night’s sleep is as important as a healthy diet and exercise. Sleeping makes us more likely to succeed at our day-to-day tasks and enjoy greater well-being.
Poor sleep is a known contributing factor in weight gain/diabetes, reduced immune system functioning, increased risk of high blood pressure, anxiety and depression. Sleep problems can take many forms, including too little sleep, too much sleep, or inadequate quality of sleep. Nearly two-thirds of Americans say they lose sleep because of stress. The insomnia can affect our ministry, our family life and our relationships.
Still Waters Restoration & Resource Ministries offers the following information to Ministry Leaders:
Tips for Getting Better Sleep:
- Schedule your sleep. Set a regular bedtime and wake-up time.
- Exercise regularly, but not right before bed. Working out will help make you ready to sleep when it’s time.
- Avoid caffeine, such as coffee and cola, starting at least six hours before bedtime.
- Start relaxing two hours before bedtime. Wind down by reading, listening to music or by another activity that reduces the stress of the day.
- Make your bedroom 100 percent geared for sleeping. Avoid paying bills or doing paper work in bed.
- Getting enough sleep isn’t always easy
- Reach out for additional support – Coping with the stress of sleep issues isn’t always easy- consider talking to a Still Waters support staff.
Still Waters Restoration & Resource Ministries is a nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting health and wellness among Christian Ministers and their families.
This information is provided for educational purposes only and is not meant to be used in place of professional consultation/treatment for individual health needs.